Tuesday, September 9

Monday Night Recap—With Added Bonus!

You've seen the commercials. You've heard the music. You know the day and time. Talking about Sunday games at the water cooler mean that Monday Night Football is only a few short, John Madden-less hours away. And as with every opening week, you got a bonus two games instead of the usual one. The Packers and Vikings game couldn't have been scripted better for Monday night; Aaron Rodgers' first start against the phenom Adrian Peterson. But Denver at Oakland? Yeah, nothing gets me more excited for football season than borderline .500 teams. In addition to the usual recap, you'll get another threat, just like the MNF doubleheader. Me, trying to be funny! That should be a sight. (Or a read, however you want to put it.) Yes, I'll be doing interviews with the man who made Frank Caliendo famous, John Madden. But make no mistake, I'm no Caliendo. Heck, I'm not even a Caliendo knockoff. But I'll do my best. This should be interesting. What wasn't interesting was the Denver/Oakland game. Denver dominated almost the entire time, winning 41-14. Cutler was sharp, throwing for nearly 300 yards and two scores. Eddie Royal was on the receiving end of most of that, filling in for the suspended Brandon Marshall, who will return next game. JaMarcus Russell was less than stellar, not being able to get it going until late in the 4th when the game was over. Darren McFadden, in his rookie debut, suffered a shoulder injury. The extent of it is not known yet, so stay tuned. Madden Interview Me: Hey John. How's it going? Madden: Pretty good. Got to see Favre play yesterday, made my day. Heck, that's made my whole year. [Has a "John Madden" laugh—you know the kind, the one where you're not sure if he's going to laugh or suffer a nervous breakdown] Me: So John, what did you think of Cutler's performance today? Madden: I gotta say, it was pretty darn good. He looked sharp out there. Real solid game. Reminds me of a young Favre... Me: [interrupts] Yeah, let's move on. Your thoughts on Eddie Royal? Madden: He's got a lot of talent, a lot of speed. With all that speed, I'm surprised the Raiders didn't draft him. You know how much Al Davis loves speedy guys. Me: That I do, Madden. That I do. [At this point, Madden sees that Sportscenter is going to talk about Favre after the break. I've been promised a finish to the interview tomorrow. You don't want to miss that; though, if you thought this was the least funniest thing ever (I don't blame you), you might.]

No comments: